Direct marketing lead generation is simple, straightforward and easy to implement — but it works. Do it right and you will get more out of every ad dollar you spend.
Direct Marketing Lead Generation Wisdom….
- Advertising Campaigns: “Almost any advertising question can be answered cheaply, quickly and finally by a test campaign. And that’s the way to answer them — not by arguments around a table.
- Salesmanship: “Advertising is salesmanship. Treat it like a salesman. Force it to justify itself.”
- Good Business: “…most national advertising is done without justification. It is merely presumed to pay. A little test might show a way to multiply returns.”
- Things Too Costly: “Many things are possible in advertising which are too costly to attempt. That is another reason why every project and method should be weighed and determined by a known scale of cost and result.”
- Letter Writing; “Letters to inquirers, follow-up letters, whenever possible they should be tested. Where that is not possible they should be based on knowledge based on tests.”
- Offer Service:”Remember the people you address are selfish, as we all are. They care nothing about your interests or your profit. They seek service for themselves. Ignoring this fact is a common mistake and a costly mistake in advertising.”
This direct marketing lead generation strategy is as relevant today as when first published in 1923.
They come from an advertising man named Claude Hopkins.
Although he was the highest paid copywriter of his day, Hopkins was more than just a great ad writer. He was a direct marketing lead generation visionary who turned advertising on its head by using scientific principles to test which ads worked…and which failed.
For Hopkins, if you aren’t market testing by measuring how well (or poorly!) your ads are doing then your advertising is a hit or miss gamble.
In his book SCIENTIFIC ADVERTISING he shows you how to remove this gamble from your advertising.
It’s all here. From making small controlled tests with a limited budget to split copy testing of headlines and short copy vs. long copy.
Not just another memoir of advertising jargon and personal opinion.
This is direct marketing lead generation wisdom that has stood the test of time.
Indeed, what you get today from any of the direct marketing lead generation gurus is simply a repackaging of what Claude Hopkins said nearly a century ago.
- “Nobody, at any level, should be allowed to have anything to do with advertising until he has read this book seven times.” – David Ogilvy
- “If Claude Hopkins was alive today, he would absolutely dominate internet marketing.” – Lance Jepsen, Author of: Internet Marketing:Profits That Lie Hidden In Your Website
Beneficial For Anyone In Marketing Or Sales
- “This will be a beneficial read for anyone in marketing or sales. Even though this book was written 90+ years ago, most of the principles discussed are still relevant today.” …The Book Reviewer
- “Considered the father of modern advertising techniques, Hopkins believed advertising should be measurable and justify the results it produced. In SCIENTIFIC ADVERTISING he explains precisely how to do that, and the principles he discovered and documented are as true today as when they were first written.” Travis McAshan, web designer & search marketing consultant.
- “If you’re serious about learning about marketing that really works, get this book.”…MarkAtwood.com
- “This book is a must read if you’re serious about advertising…These methods work. They always have. They always will.” Ian Lurie, in Internet Marketing.